Summertime calls for laying out by the pool, cold lemonade, and refreshing salads! I have been trying to come up with the perfect combination for a salad for a long time and I think I may have found it. I actually don’t know if I’ve ever made the same salad twice since it’s so easy to make it different by adding or replacing a vegetable or protein, but this salad was perfect – it had a good balance between soft, creamy, and crunchy!
My fiancé is the ultimate taste tester in my kitchen since he will tell me the truth, always. After making and eating many, many salads, I think the secret to making a great salad people actually want to eat (and have seconds) is making sure each ingredient is cut into a bite size piece. You want to taste every ingredient in every bite!
The combination of ingredients is what makes the salad stand out and the dressing blends it into one cohesive dish. Finding a delicious and healthy store-bought dressing can be a challenge, though there are more options now, but for this salad I made my own dressing, which I do use a lot as a go-to dressing.
Don’t be afraid to switch ingredients up in a salad! All a salad is is a combination of ingredients that go well together 🙂
- 8 oz imitation crab meat, cut into bite size pieces
- ½ large head of fresh broccoli, chopped into small bite size pieces
- 1 cup carrots (baby carrots cut into bite size pieces or shredded carrots)
- 3 celery stalks, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 large cucumber, chopped into bite size pieces
- ½ can of corn (no salt added)
- ⅓ cup green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh dill, cut into small pieces
- Ingredients for salad dressing:
- 3 Tbsp low-fat sour cream
- 2 Tbsp fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp white or balsamic vinegar (I like using balsamic for the flavor)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sugar (or Stevia)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop all vegetables and crab and put in a large bowl. May use more or less of any ingredient, depending on what you like. Salads are flexible!
- In a small bowl, combine all of the salad dressing ingredients and mix well. Taste to see if you need to add anything and adjust if needed.
- Add dressing to the salad, mix well. Adjust seasonings if needed.