It’s summertime and you know what that means – yard work! I know, you thought I’d say “beach” or “pool” or “vacation!” But unfortunately for my fiancé and I, that’s not the case at the moment. It has been raining so much in Indiana that we have to use up the good-weather-days to catch up on yard work. Bummer.
Since my fiancé and his best friend are working hard on this 80 degree, sunny, pool-perfect day, I thought the least I can do is make a protein-packed lunch to make sure they don’t quit!
Baked, skinless chicken drumsticks, which I served with steamed edamame on the side (more protein).
Hey – it must have worked because they finished the front yard project before the end of the night!
- Chicken drumsticks (as many as you need; I had about 15 drumsticks this time) ￼
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- Seasoning mix of choice (such as Chef Paul Meat Magic or Mrs. Dash Chicken Grilling Blends, see note below)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Line a baking pan with foil and grease the foil. (Please use a baking pan and not a cookie sheet. The juices from the chicken will run off the cookie sheet and may cause a fire in the oven.)
- Wash and pat dry drumsticks.
- Peel and cut off the chicken skin. Do the best you can and be careful to not cut yourself. I peel it with my hands until most of it is off then use a knife to slice it off; this removes most of the skin and only leaves a little on the end of the bone.
- Toss with olive oil.
- Rub in the seasoning mix onto each drumstick (use more rather than less seasoning because when the chicken cooks and gets juicy, some seasoning will come off) and place on the greased pan - try to not let them touch each other.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip over, add more seasoning if it looks like they need more, and bake another 20 minutes.
- Let rest 5-10 minutes then eat!
A note about seasonings: I have made these using Chef Paul's Seafood Magic and Meat Magic. Both turned out really good and I may have even liked the Seafood Magic drumsticks slightly more. You may use whatever seasoning you like or even make your own!