It’s finally warm outside! I’m so excited it’s spring! What could be better in the spring than a fresh salad? I know, probably a lot of things.. This Green Apple Brussels Sprout Salad with Smoked Gouda is my favorite salad though and I can’t wait to make it again. I served this salad at a party and lots of people were wanting the recipe – well the recipe is finally here!
The green apple is a like a surprise in every bite. You don’t usually expect an apple in a salad but it complements the gouda very, very well. After making this salad I actually learned that gouda is my favorite kind of cheese, next to mozzarella. I used smoked gouda in this recipe because I wanted to add more flavor but you can use regular gouda as well.
Have you ever had smoked gouda fondue? That stuff’s good! I had smoked gouda fondue at Kona Grill when we were celebrating my mom’s birthday and guess what came with it.. Green apple slices! And pretzel bites too 🙂 I got to enjoy this fondue one more time before the restaurant took it off its menu. Apparently it wasn’t a popular item on the West coast and since they have a national menu, it didn’t make the cut.
Not sure I’ll be making my own smoked gouda fondue any time soon, so back to the Green Apple Brussels Sprout Salad with Smoked Gouda..
- 1 lb raw brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1.5 small green apples
- 2 cups carrots, grated or shredded
- 8 or 9 slices turkey bacon
- 4 oz smoked gouda, shredded
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp stone ground mustard
- ⅓ cup sour cream, low fat
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt, fat-free
- 1.5 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- Salt to taste
- Chop the green apples into bite size pieces and place into a small bowl. Pour the lemon juice over the apples. Mix well so every piece gets lemon juice on it and let it sit while you finish the salad.
- Wash brussels sprouts and cut off the ends. Place brussels sprouts in a food processor and chop until they are shredded. You may need to do this in several batches. Do not over-shred; you do not want blended brussels sprout mush! If you have a slicing attachment for a food processor, this is a great time to use it. Place shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl.
- Grate carrots to make 2 cups using a grater or a grater attachment in a food processor. Transfer to the bowl.
- Cook the turkey bacon (I use a microwave, following package instructions) and crumble into the bowl.
- Crush 2 cloves of garlic into the bowl.
- Transfer the apples to the large bowl but do not pour out the lemon juice. Discard the lemon juice.
- Shred the smoked gouda into the bowl, salt lightly, and mix well.
- In a small or medium bowl, mix together mustard, sour cream, Greek yogurt, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, and oregano. Mix the dressing into the salad a couple spoonfuls at a time.