I think spinach and eggs are a match made in heaven. Or.. maybe not. Maybe if you added some cheese and bacon, you would agree with me. You’re certainly welcome to add cheese and bacon to this recipe, just remember that moderation is key.
You can even make this ahead of time and microwave it the next morning for 1 minute. I do this all the time because I don’t like cooking first thing in the morning. I’m more of a get up and get out the door type. But even if you make this in the morning, it only takes a couple of minutes!
This is probably the most simple omelette recipe you will ever find. Seriously. The title describes it all – Spinach Egg White Omelette – all you need is spinach and egg whites and some salt and pepper. Everything else added is just bonus.
Do some of you wonder how to keep your omelette from turning into scrambled eggs? Here’s the trick: don’t flip the omelette. If you don’t have the skill (I know I don’t), don’t worry about it. All you have to do is put a lid on the pan! The steam will cook the top of the omelette – here is the recipe for step-by-step instructions on how I make my omelettes:
- 2 egg whites, whisked (or ⅓ to ½ cup egg whites if using egg whites from a carton, more or less by preference)
- Handful of spinach, whole or torn into pieces
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic powder (optional, recommended)
- Other add-ins, chopped (optional)
- Other seasonings (optional)
- Heat a small skillet on high and turn heat down to medium once hot.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray.
- Place spinach in skillet and let cook for a few seconds.
- Stir spinach and add egg whites over it.
- Let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add seasonings of choice, including salt and pepper. You may also add more spinach.
- Tilt pan to let uncooked eggs to run to sides of pan.
- Cover with a lid to allow the center to cook through. Cook until cooked through most of the way.
- Add other add-ins to one side of omelette.
- Carefully lift up the other side of the omelette (without additional toppings) with a spatula and fold over the toppings.
- Cook until cooked through all the way.
- Season more if necessary.