Have you ever heard of a Pierogi Fest? I had no idea there was a festival that celebrates an Eastern European food! When I found out about this festival, I thought I have to go and I don’t care that it’s 3 hours away, by Chicago. My fiancé and I made a day trip out of it and it was a lot of fun!
There were lots of different things to do there: laughing at the babushki (ladies dressed up like grandmas from Europe), watching dance performances, dunking nuns into water, and watching the Polka dance competition where an older couple was super fun to watch and the couple deservedly won.
We also ate lots of food, including pierogies, cabbage rolls, potato pancakes, Polish sausage, ice cream… not everything eaten is pictured:
With all this food, we were too full to try one last thing: the steak kebabs! Travis, my fiancé, really wanted to get one but we would not have been able to finish it, so I promised him I would make steak kebabs at home.
The marinade smells amazing on its own. I marinate the meat and vegetables in separate bowls to prevent contaminating the vegetables with raw meat. I don’t know if this is necessary, but I do it anyway.
Then when you begin grilling, it smells even more amazing!
Dinner is served. Don’t judge the white wine.. I was pairing it with the vegetables… You may also add a refreshing salad as a side, such as this Creamy Crab and Vegetable Salad.
- 3-4 lbs of top sirloin steak
- Vegetables for grilling, such as: eggplant, zucchini, squash, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers, etc.
- Marinade (make twice, once for steak, and another for vegetables):
- 4 cloves of garlic (about 1 large clove for every lb of meat)
- Handful of fresh parsley, washed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Cut steak into 1.5 inch pieces and put into a large bowl.
- Wash the vegetables and cut them into pieces similar in size to the steak (the smaller you cut the vegetables, the more they will cook and the more flavorful they will become) then put them in a separate large bowl.
- Season the steak and vegetables with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and any other seasonings if you'd like to add more spice, such as cayenne pepper. The measurements listed should be added in total to steak and then again in total to vegetables (not split up in half).
- In a blender, combine garlic, parsley, olive oil, vinegar, and lemon juice. Then pour over steak. Mix well.
- Repeat for vegetables.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. I like to let it marinate over night.
- Place meat and vegetables onto skewers. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes first in order to prevent burning on the grill.
- Grill over medium or medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, turning the kebabs every 3 to 4 minutes.